Jewelry is as sentimental as it is literally valuable, often representing both cherished memories and a significant material investment. If you have an extensive collection, you may not have room in your home; for particularly valuable items, you also may feel nervous keeping it there.
Self-storage is a great choice for storing less-worn or valuable jewelry! Here some tips for keeping it safe.
The first thing you should do is invest in a high quality jewelry box. The compartments will help separate smaller pieces, and fabric lining (available on most boxes) will cushion it from accidents.
Compartments are very important for another reason: jewelry can scratch other jewelry. For instance, soft gold rings can be easily scratched by a gemstone.
It’s important to note that most jewelry should come with a protective pouch. These pouches are designed for the unique metals in that jewelry. Keep track of them and use them! If they’re not available, wrap them in acid free paper or a soft, clean microfiber cloth.
Most self-storage units are very secure; that being said, you should invest in a safe for extra protection if your pieces are very valuable. Extremely high value pieces should be kept at a bank in a safe deposit box.
Cleaning and Prep
You should clean and dry your jewelry thoroughly before storing it. How you clean it depends largely on what it’s made out of:
- Metal: Windex is gentle enough to preserve metal while strong enough to get rid of dirt. One important note: certain gems can be discolored by ammonia, the primary ingredient in Windex.
- Crystals: Low concentrate rubbing alcohol or even vodka work a treat on crystalline gemstones. Avoid pearls and other organic stones, and remember that alcohol dissolves glue.
- Organic Stones: pearl, coral, amber, and other natural stones should never be soaked in anything. Just wipe them down thoroughly.
- Diamonds: It might sound weird…but try toothpaste and a toothbrush. Toothpaste is a gentle abrasive, and the brush won’t scratch a stone as hard as diamond.
- Silver and Gold: pour ammonia in a bowl and drop your trinkets in. Ta-da!
Do you need jewelry storage that’s safe and reliable in Alamance County? Alamance Self-Storage offers safe, dependable self-storage with available 24/7 access and climate control! Our smaller units offer plenty of space for jewelry storage without breaking the bank. Contact us today for a free quote!